Author Topic: Bitstream error  (Read 13755 times)

Offline Insomniac

• Moder8or
  • B8a Tester
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-0
Re: Bitstream error
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2010, 02:12:18 PM »
Also the file says (when pressing info), (filename) @ 440167164

Please provide a photo of this - I have never heard of this before.

I'm hoping for a far better firmware... Did have some very annoying problems with the mede8er unfortunately.
I just want to play the content, and not even more than that...
Maybe it's a idea to focus on just playing the content, than focusing on implanting a lot of un-useful features (maybe useful to others).

Maybe there's a "bare" firmware, just for playing the "stuff"? Don't need FTP, NAS or other things...

Or maybe there's a something tweaked 1.22a firmware, playing all content, but also plays a DVD folder in a simple way?

With respect to running the v2.0.x firmware without a hard drive, there are very clear and specific instructions on the download page not to use that version unless your HDD setup allows for it. Mede8er techs are working on a solution for this which is being tested. Another instruction was to remove power from the Mede8er after installation to bed down the firmware - perhaps you didn't do that either after installing until later, during which you were able to play the file successfully. The new firmware introduced some bugs which are currently being dealt with before new development can continue. These bugs are specific to Mede8ers that don't have internal HDDs or the HDD is not formatted in the Mede8er.

There is no 'bare firmware' but the problem doesn't appear to be in the firmware as your other PC's share works - there is something wrong with either the hardware or settings on your one PC.

For now, stick to firmware v1.2.2a and focus on the settings on your problematic PC share. To my understanding the problem is clearly not with the Mede8er firmware if the file plays fine on another PC share. Try removing the share entirely and recreating it - configure the permissions again and force the child files and folders to inherit the permissions of the parent folder.

Kindly provide your setup details in your sig as suggested in the technical sticky - not having these details and having to search through all your posts for details is prohibitive to providing support.
Questions? Please check the Mede8er Beginners Guide.

For technical assistance, please take note of the Technical support guidelines.

Ensure too that you are using the latest firmware when requesting support.

Offline ex0dus

• B8a Tester
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2010, 02:58:57 PM »
But this doesn't explain why just the mpg and mt2s files do not play, HD WMV and MKV are playing OK.
It's kinda weird. Why just these files? And why are they playing from another PC correctly? What can go wrong with just these filetypes?

Offline Insomniac

• Moder8or
  • B8a Tester
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-0
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2010, 03:18:09 PM »
I'm assuming it requires the internal swap partition for caching of certain material to assist with buffering - not really sure...

Why is it different for different file formats? - I've no idea what the Realtek devs had in mind here...

Either way this is a known bug that the devs are currently focused on resolving.

The truth is this is actually too sad that someone decided to make this change expecting everyone to have a formatted HDD - unfortunately this wasn't tested without a HDD as Realtek don't provide changelogs of the SDK.
Questions? Please check the Mede8er Beginners Guide.

For technical assistance, please take note of the Technical support guidelines.

Ensure too that you are using the latest firmware when requesting support.

Offline ex0dus

• B8a Tester
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2010, 03:36:56 PM »
Yeah, but why do the files play from a different PC with the same OS?
Well I hope it can be fixed in a future firmware update. For now i'm out of ideas...

About 2 weeks ago I played a HD movie, which plays correctly.
After that I did some things:
- Installed updates (but removed them already)
- Changed the root HDD for a differtent disk (cloned it), old one had bad sectors
- Changed the disk where the movies are stored on (from 2 x HDD in RAID to a single one)
- Installed the new Intel INF drivers
- Installed XAMPP (Apache etc)

After that...
- Removed the updates
- Installed an older network driver
- removed all programs installed in the last 2 weeks (just two)
- Made new shares, removed old ones, changing to same shares again
- Paging file off and on
- "Turn off Windows write-cache buffer" on HDD on and off and on again
- Rebooted the server a thousand times
- Made several changes to network adapter, TCP/IP 6 on and off, QOS on and off
- Turned firewall off and on
- Windows defender on and off
- Copied HD files to different share/disk/partition

But with a internal hard drive it should work? I could try that, not now, but tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 03:49:09 PM by ex0dus »

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2010, 04:00:58 PM »
Finding the root cause with this amount of changes you did the same time, it will be a painfull process to find.
 :P
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline ex0dus

• B8a Tester
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 04:08:29 PM »
Not really the same time, but it has been a week or two, after that I did some changes, yes. But nothing with the OS itself.

Also it has some extra things to it, it's got Kerio mailserver, Apache, MySQL, FTP etc, but it used to stream everything.

It also could be Kerio, you never know... What port is used for mede8er to connect to share?
From other PC's i can access the share with no problems, but maybe the mede8er uses a different method?

/edit
With Twonkymedia, mpg and m2ts are playing correctly. But that's not really a solution. :(
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 05:11:06 PM by ex0dus »

Offline ex0dus

• B8a Tester
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 05:34:07 PM »
Breaktrough, when stoping Kerio mailserver, every file is playing correctly... ??? ???

/edit
Runned some tests.
Kerio runs on port 444 for connecting Outlook to the server. Standard port was 443, but it was in use, couldn't figure it out which program, so i changed it and everything was working fine.
Port 444 is used for this: http://www.iss.net/security_center/advice/Exploits/Ports/444/default.htm

So I changed it to another port number.
I restarted Kerio, but files won't play again.

These are the portnumbers used... Is there something wrong with it?

Using port 12246 instead of 444, won't work either.

/edit
Stopping service on port 8080 seems to solve the problem...

/edit
Changing portnumber 8080 to 8090 seems to solve the problem so far... Has port 8080 something to do with the mede8er playing mpg or m2ts??
« Last Edit: January 31, 2010, 06:14:22 PM by ex0dus »

Offline mysticc

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2010, 07:38:06 PM »
Also the file says (when pressing info), (filename) @ 440167164

Please provide a photo of this - I have never heard of this before.

Confirm this.
When a file cannot be played and you get a Message "Bitstream-Error" press info before the message pops up and you see this  (filename) @ 440167164

Reproduce:
Run a service like apache on port 8080 on your serving machine and play a .m2ts from it -> gives Bitstream error. (as exodus figured out)
V3.0 Beta
MED500X with internal HD 250G
100Mbit Networked with CAT5 to AVM Fritz 7220
Networkshare mainly on Win2003 Server, sometimes on Windows7 x64 Ultimate
Connected via Component to LCD and HDMI to projector.
AVR: Denon-3805
Projector: Sony HW-10
LCD: Viewpia 37
Blu-Ray-Player: LG BD 370

Offline ex0dus

• B8a Tester
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2010, 06:33:14 AM »
Several things I figured out myself. They should offer me a contract @ mede8er. :D