Author Topic: YAMJ to Mede8er Beta pre-release  (Read 304054 times)

Offline Insomniac

• Moder8or
  • B8a Tester
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +2/-0
YAMJ to Mede8er Beta pre-release
« on: January 27, 2010, 11:13:41 PM »
Hi Members,

Our member, ButlerPeter, has been hard at work developing an app for us that will convert the YAMJ JukeBox data and images into Mede8er-compatible 'about.jpg' files and also add 'folder.jpg' files to your movie folders.

The result is a fantastic graphic presentation that is compatible with the Mede8er interface - a sort of 'first-step' towards YAMJ integration if one could describe it in this manner...

We offer our members the opportunity to beta-test this application - 'YAMJ to Mede8er' - as an open beta.

Here is a link to the YAMJ to Mede8er beta app itself, if you already have YAMJ set up and running.
Update: latest version is from Feb 18th (rev 0.7.1).

This is a convenient extract-and-go pack, including the various YAMJ bits and pieces that you would need to get from various sources - this includes a pdf-guide on how it all works.

For your own personal, front-seat demo on what can be achieved using this artwork, you are welcome to download this demo pack and place it on your Mede8er.

Please let us know your thoughts and feelings - remember that this is not intended as a replacement for TVixie or Movie GUI Creator - it merely allows one to create about.jpg files using the YAMJ data and skins.

Thank you Peter for your fine contribution - we trust and hope that there are many more ideas that will come from these community efforts...

Your constructive feedback would be appreciated.

(EDIT - Updated links to latest version)
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 12:46:24 PM by Insomniac »
Questions? Please check the Mede8er Beginners Guide.

For technical assistance, please take note of the Technical support guidelines.

Ensure too that you are using the latest firmware when requesting support.

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +118/-30
Re: YAMJ to Mede8er Beta pre-release
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 04:35:12 AM »
This is really a fantastic development and I personally want to thank Peter for his vision and effort for writing this program. I have used YAMJ To Mede8er very successfully to create rich image cover art and about content for my collection and I am rather stunned at the results.

Mede8er1    

Mede8er1
The Greatest Show on Earth
Read the user Guides
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_support_user_guides.htm

Offline Cockeye

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:32:56 AM »
Cool - cannot wait to try this out.  Have an evening at home tonight so will have a go at setting it all up.  Have never used YAMJ before so will likely be a steep learning curve for me.  Will certainly report back on my experiences.

Many thanks again for the excellent support this device gains from you guys and the community as well.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:14:37 PM by Insomniac »
Mede8er FW 2.0.2  networked via cable to
Netgear wireless G router WGR614
Acer Aspire 7720G Dual Core Processor Laptop
Vista 32 Bit
External Iomega 500GB HDD connected to laptop via USB
Samsung 42 inch Plasma TV(HDMI to amp)
Onkyo 605 amplifier (HDMI to Mede8er)

Offline Insomniac

• Moder8or
  • B8a Tester
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:58:56 AM »
Note that with YAMJ there are certain file naming standards - the movie file itself (not folder) should include 'movie name' plus 'year', as it is displayed on IMDB, e.g. Movie Name (YYYY).MKV. Another method is to include a nfo file with the IMDB url in it - that is your best bet for a 100% accurate scrape.

There is a lot of help in this respect in the YAMJ Wiki. (I am personally a YAMJ noob, but Google is a good buddy... ;) )

The benefit of this compiled RAR is that you don't have to surf the net downloading stuff from various locations - everything is in one big data dump and it can even be run from a flash drive - no installation required (except for Java Runtime of course)...
Here is the tutorial for the official step-by-step installation if you prefer to go the long route...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 06:15:08 PM by Insomniac »

Offline Cockeye

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:21:50 PM »
Oh I am aware a steep learning curve lies ahead that is for sure.

Especially as I am a YAMJ noob.  Took a look at it the other day actually and I couldn't even work out how to install the thing!  ;D

However, I think someone like me who is a noob to the whole YAMJ thing, might be a usefull test subject so as i say I look forward to trying it tonight when I get home.....

Can I ask - is there still a plan to bring "full" YAMJ to Mede8er at some point in the future?

EDIT

re-reading your post - hope its ok to ask this stuff in this thread, or should I create a seperate one for questions?

You say create an NFO file with the IMDB URL.  Is there a guide on how to create this file?

« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 12:26:55 PM by Cockeye »
Vista 32 Bit

Offline Insomniac

• Moder8or
  • B8a Tester
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:51:31 PM »
responses in blue

However, I think someone like me who is a noob to the whole YAMJ thing, might be a usefull test subject so as i say I look forward to trying it tonight when I get home.....

Follow the pdf instructions included in the RAR download and you should be good to go.

Can I ask - is there still a plan to bring "full" YAMJ to Mede8er at some point in the future?

This is still on the cards

re-reading your post - hope its ok to ask this stuff in this thread, or should I create a seperate one for questions?

Might as well keep it together as long as it stays on topic with respect to YAMJ and this generator. We're more interested in feedback on the YAMJ to Mede8er tool.

You say create an NFO file with the IMDB URL.  Is there a guide on how to create this file?

Create a text file in the movie folder, rename to moviename.nfo, paste the url into it, close and save.
These questions are all answered in the Wiki link provided. Rather do lots of reading first before attempting - the Wiki will answer most of your questions

YAMJ is going to require a clear understanding of your PC and a medium to high level of PC knowledge - it won't be for everyone. This RAR pack really couldn't have been made any easier - with this pack there is very little room for error in terms of installation. Your movie scrape accuracy and results will of course depend on how you have named your movies - badly named movies will result in erroneous scrapes. The BIBO rule applies - bull in, bull out...

There are very clear instructions in this respect in the Wiki...

Offline Cockeye

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Cheers mate - sorry am at work so can't really browse the wiki.  Should have done that at first really instead of asking spurious questions.

I shall trot off now and my next post in this thread will be feedback  ;D
Vista 32 Bit

Offline Cockeye

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 07:48:30 PM »
OK - some first feedback for you as a complete YAMJ noob.

First of all, many thanks to Peter for what he has produced here.  It is very much appreciated.

Secondly, it just took me about 2 hrs 40 minutes of work from nothing to full success in my movie folders.  I only used my movie folders in the first instance, as there are only 13 in there at this stage.

I will say that the PDF file that is included is fantastically written, whoever did that.  The documentation is clear and concise and the pack that is included really does have everything you need.

I think the produced fan art is fantastic and it really is so much easier than doing everything via TVxie or Movie GUI Builder.  So very many thanks to all for producing this solution.

I think looking at the html file on my PC that I now cannot wait for full YAMJ integration but for now this is an absolutely fantastic solution that I really like and works very well.

My next stage is to work on my TV series, which I suspect will be a little more challenging.

But coming at it for scratch I really cannot find any faults so far - other than maybe making clear that YAMJ can be put in the Programs folder on the C drive?  The documentation kind of gives the impression it must be on the C drive in the root to me, but maybe this is just me.

Great stuff - but I have a headache now so off to eat  ;D

Thanks again Peter and mede8er team for making this available.
Vista 32 Bit

Offline butlerpeter

• B8a Tester
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 07:53:53 PM »
Thanks for the comments.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on with your TV series. I've not yet sorted my TV collection out for use with YAMJ so I'm not sure what YAMJ To Mede8er will do with them!

Offline Cockeye

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »
I will report back as soon as but will probably take a break now.  May not be until Monday before I get time to try that.....
Vista 32 Bit

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2010, 08:57:33 PM »
Updated user guide YAMJ To Mede8er V0.5.0.0 BETA

http://www.mede8er.org/artwork/temp/yamj_to_mede8er_28jan2010.pdf

Mede8er1

Mede8er1
Read the user Guides

Offline Cockeye

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2010, 09:00:03 PM »
Woah - that was quick!   :)
Vista 32 Bit

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2010, 09:07:15 PM »
Hi Cockeye

Tks for yr comments and I found some other errors as well.

Mede8er1

Mede8er1
Read the user Guides

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »
Hi Peter and Mede8er1,

I am really impressed with this combined effort of you both.

Peter for developing this great tool, which makes it really easy to create and move YAMJ JukeBox data and images into Mede8er-compatible 'about.jpg' files and also add 'folder.jpg' files to movie folders.
Mede8er1 for making a great install guide and install package, which makes it really easy to install and use YAMJ in combination with the Mede8er.
I know it can be really painfull to install YAMJ when you have go only with the installation instructions that come default with YAMJ, but with this guide and prepared installation package it is really easy to get started..

GREAT JOB!

Have played around with it and want to add that it is not only possible to move YAMJ JukeBox data to the Mede8er by connecting it with USB cable to the PC where YAMJ is installed on, you can also point the output of the YAMJ to Mede8er tool to the internal disk of the mede8eer when you have shared and mapped it as a network drive. So no need to move the mede8er to your PC.
So you just have to select the shared network drive letter as described on point 6a of the YAMJ to Mede8er guide.
Works nice and no need to hookup your mede8er by USB cable.

My guess is that this also works when you make drive mappings to a NAS, but don't  have one, so couldn't try this.

Cheers,
Maasbommel

Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline Cockeye

• B8a Tester
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2010, 09:39:39 PM »
Of course, if you are doing what I am doing and using an external hard drive attached to your laptop and then streaming, it works absolutely fine as well.  Not everyone uses a hard drive in their mede8er  ;)
Vista 32 Bit