Author Topic: iPad juke8ox  (Read 13199 times)

Offline funkycochise

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: iPad juke8ox
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 09:32:29 am »

I did significant steps forward on this.

I include the additional infos on movies nested in a Search purpose filter, i.e. : Movie Genres.
For this, I download the Mede8er.db on the iPad, this way I can expand the movie database within the iPad.
By now I added the Year, Rating and Genres, as there'sn't anything more inside the Mede8er.db.
For genres, I also need to parse the data to make a "select distinct genre from movie_genres" kind of query.
For instance, it's enough, as there aren't that many genres, it's fast to achieve, even if a dedicated table in db
would be much more convenient.

Pushing my thoughts forward, I came to rethink the way things are done today.

For example, if we want to add  actors or directors search, this design isn't the most efficient and consumes resources.
I don't know when Mede8er.db is generated by mede8er. But as things are growing gently, this question will rise one day.
So my idea would be, as xml files are generated by third party tools, wouldn't it be nice to have a whole database available in addition to the existing movie.xml, allowing SQL database queries ?

I didn't find a obvious answer what is the most efficient way to point to.
but this will also void the existence of the "jukebox open" json exchange, that consumes numerous time when asked.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +182/-35
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 09:37:30 am »
Mede8er.bd is added when you scan the finished jukebox folder...and "add" in the case of Jukebox+.

One way of handling the whole NEt API function would have been to see a client as a remote database processor, copying the database only when it changed, and only using JSON to add  information it doesn't contain.  Instead we have a large degree of overlap. Well...you know how much Sanji like giving people choices.  ;) :D
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 09:42:56 am by jer1956 »

Offline funkycochise

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2013, 09:41:12 am »
Mede8er.bd is added when you scan the finished jukebox folder...and "add" in the case of Jukebox+.
all right, this is what I thought, without being sure.
As I see movies are added into jukebox without rescan, is it re-done when jukebox is open from net API ?

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 09:48:25 am »
all right, this is what I thought, without being sure.
As I see movies are added into jukebox without rescan, is it re-done when jukebox is open from net API ?

If you "maintain" an aggregated jukebox using the Universal Jukebox Aggregator then I think the database is part of the process and it's updated for you..you  don't need to  re-scan seperately.    I never thought "maintaining"  the jukebox was part of Net Api.

So  you shouldn't expect the database to change everytime you connect. Instead you can quicken up the connection process by caching as much of the data as possible and only update the clients copy as needed.

Offline funkycochise

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 10:00:25 am »
If you "maintain" an aggregated jukebox using the Universal Jukebox Aggregator then I think the database is part of the process and it's updated for you..you  don't need to  re-scan seperately.    I never thought "maintaining"  the jukebox was part of Net Api.

So  you shouldn't expect the database to change everytime you connect. Instead you can quicken up the connection process by caching as much of the data as possible and only update the clients copy as needed.
I don't think also that net API should trigger update in any way.
That said, on the API client point of view, working with json files or sqllite is quite the same.
(in fact, adding mede8er.db download and querying wasn't noticable to me)

The original goal of my question was because I think I never had to rescan to make newer movie to appear.
I not sure as newer firmware install Involves de facto rescan.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2013, 10:10:26 am »
Transffering the dasebase was noticeable to Massbommel using his "huge" movie jukebox when using other apps. It is he who is pushing the idea of caching as much as possible.

You are correct about not needing a Med re-scan to  get JSON data for a newly added movie folder. The only issue is that the database is then out of sync. Requesting a json rescan doesn't upgrade the database as well.

We are still at the beginning of Net Api's existence..so issues like this are going to  arise. It's up to  somebody to make the case it's wrong to do one without the other.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 10:27:56 am by jer1956 »

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +50/-8
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2013, 10:32:55 am »
The delays in pulling real time json data every time when you select a favorite folder in the app is most noticeable on music collections - this because the amount of single files is much higher.

Without caching ticking a favorite folder in app and then wait for the covers to show up in the app takes for a collection of 22.000 files around 40 secs to collect the json and some 10 secs to collect the music.db
That is with mede8er connected by wifi and using a fast NAS device.
I have also another slower Synology NAS and that even responds slower on the same size of collection, it easily goes to 1.5 minute to get some music collection on my iPAD

All these timing comes from my experience with the Apsolute app.

I hope this explains my idea of caching json files and mede8er.db files on iPAD.
I would opt for an option in setup where the user itself can decide if he want to get new json and db files every time when selecting a favorite or only on request (by some refresh button on top of the cover window in the app).

Focus on ease of use and speed of reponse on Music  app play is a must, as this will expected be the first main reason for users to buy such an app, as there is then no need to turn on the TV screen anymore....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 11:00:02 am by Maasbommel »
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline funkycochise

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2013, 10:47:44 am »
The delays in pulling real time json data every time when you select a favorite folder in the app is most noticeable on music collections - this because the amount of single files is much higher.

Without caching ticking a favorite folder in app and then wait for the covers to show up in the app takes for a collection of 22.000 files around 40 secs to collect the json and some 10 secs to collect the music.db
That is with mede8er connected by wifi and using a fast NAS device.
I have also another slower Synology NAS and that even responds slower on the same size of collection, it easily goes to 1.5 minute to get some music collection on my iPAD

All these timing comes from my experience with the Apsolute app.

I hope this explains my idea of caching json files and mede8er.db files on iPAD.
I would opt for an option in setup where the user itself can decide if he want to get new files every time when selecting a favorite or only on request (by some refresh button on top of the cover window in the app).

Focus on ease of use and speed of reponse on Music  app play is a must, as this will expected be the first main reason for users to buy such an app, as there is then no need to turn on the TV screen anymore....
Thanks for the experience return, Massbomel, as I'm facing the caching question.
I did some experiments that lead me to embedded ressources, giving the app instant reaction when loading jukebox.

Offline funkycochise

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 04:01:41 pm »
Hi there,

some pictures of the actual version.

Main movie jukebox wall

Search by name

Detailed view when movie selected

Detail View (playing state in upper status bar)

Remote control screen (several buttons need a better design)

I was a bit busy these days for regular updates.

Offline funkycochise

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2013, 05:15:47 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/v/IR6KqVvajIA

video made using ios simulator, image loading is a bit slower on real device...

Offline Mede8er1

• Administr8or
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +91/-19
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2013, 06:12:31 pm »
Looking amazing ;D

Mede8er1

Mede8er1
The Greatest Show on Earth
Read the user Guides
http://www.mede8er.com/mede8er_support_user_guides.htm

Offline funkycochise

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2013, 01:43:54 pm »
Currently struggling with apple restriction.
I'll need to do some design changes...  :-\

FKY

Offline riaanstrydomza

• B8a Tester - X2
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 07:23:06 pm »
Has anything progressed?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk