Author Topic: Starting from Scratch...Need Advice  (Read 19385 times)

Offline Budge

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +1/-0
Starting from Scratch...Need Advice
« on: February 07, 2013, 03:56:06 pm »
Hi.  This is my first post.  After some lurking here and on the AVS forum, I finally decided to get a Mede8er.  I'm new to streaming devices, though I have tried PMS, MakeMKV Server, and TVersity on my Win7 PC to a PS3.

So here's my situation.  I have a living room with a 2D television/receiver setup and a PS3.  I also have a playroom with a brand new LG 3D TV.  The LG tv and the PS3 both have DLNA, but I have no idea what AV formats they can take.

I was originally planning on getting a MED1000X3D because I had read about problems with 3DBDISO over the network, but that seems to have been fixed with the new firmware.  I also thought I could stream from the internal hard drive on the 1000 to my LG, but I have since read that the NAS server function of the 1000 is not optimized for streaming.  Now it seems it doesn't really matter if I get a 1000 or a 600.

So if I want to have a media library available to both rooms simultaneously, it seems I need a good NAS (if I don't want to have to run my computer all of the time).  After some reading, Synology became the top contender.  I'm looking at a DS212j or a DS213.  I'm sure the 213 would be better, but I'm not sure if it's really worth the extra $100 for my needs.  I have no idea yet about what I will use the NAS for other than streaming and backups.  Any suggestions?

So I guess my biggest question is what would be my best setup with the Synology:  one Mede8er or two, and in which room.  If the Synology plays nicely with the PS3 and I can get the PS3 to accept uncompressed BD files (mkv or other, with surround sound), then I may just want one Mede8er to use with the 3D LG.  On the other had, the LG may accept more AV formats than the PS3, in which case it might be better to put a Mede8er in my living room instead.  I'm sure the easiest solution would be to get two Mede8ers, but that's a bit cost prohibitive once you add in a Synology and a couple of HDDs.

Any recommendations?

Offline SPiET

• B8a Tester - 1000X3D
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: Starting from Scratch...Need Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 11:21:27 am »
Hey
Dont go for the j version of the nas. Its the most cheapiest nas and cpu, ram isnt high enough to do a lot of multitasking. Go for the normal or the + version. You always think you dont need the extra power but in the end you will be using your nas a lot more then just for streaming (downloading, unpacking etc).

I got a 413 and love it. Be sure to look for additional packages which can be installed easily a s most of the time free for your synology nas.

As for the ps3, i tried that myself before i got the 1000x3d and it uses a lot of power of your nas. Too much! Besides the ps3 wont play all your files even with using ps3mediaserver.

My nas is connected with cat 5e cables to the network and forwarding to the med and it plays it wonderful.

Hope this helps.
Cheers

Offline Sakanioy

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-1
Re: Starting from Scratch...Need Advice
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 08:52:41 am »
I think it's a long time to find it.