Author Topic: Screen becomes high contrast (or more dark) by getting a picture shown  (Read 23060 times)

Offline mr.tyler-durden

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Hi @all!
By selecting any picture (from anywhere - doesn't metter), you can see Mede8er 1000X3D changes some display adjustments, right before the picture is loaded. The picture settings on Mede8er are all set to '0'. When I'm now adjusting lower contrast  and higher brightnes, the picture becomes more like the original one. It does not belong to any settings on my TV because that does NOT happen, when a former created movie info page on a scraped movie is shown. And my TV doesn't apply any dynamic settings.
That is discusting.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance!
Tyler
MED: 1000X3D - V4.0.1 (April beta)
A/V:   Onkyo TX-NR616 (7.1 setup)
TV:    Sony KDL-55W905
NAS:  Synology DS414 (4x4TB)

Offline pallec

• Experienced Member
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +4/-0
    • Guitarfix
Re: Screen becomes high contrast (or more dark) by getting a picture shown
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 11:08:11 AM »
Mine doesn't do anything like that.
MED600X3D - V4.0.2 - 6 April 2016
Connected to:
Netgear C6250 router
Synology DS214+ NAS (NFS)
Samsung UE65F8000 TV
Panasonic PT-AE2000 Projector
SONY STR-DN1040 AV Receiver

MED400X2S -> Philips TV (in bedroom)

www.guitarfix.dk

Offline IvanEBC

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:26:36 PM »
Sounds like a TV trying to adjust the image based on lighting conditions? Image is bright, start a movie which is usually dark, TV picked up new lighting conditions and auto adjusts the brightness/contrast?

I could be wrong as the English is a little broken for me.. no offence.

Ivan

Offline mr.tyler-durden

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
Sounds like a TV trying to adjust the image based on lighting conditions? Image is bright, start a movie which is usually dark, TV picked up new lighting conditions and auto adjusts the brightness/contrast?

I could be wrong as the English is a little broken for me.. no offence.

Ivan

Thanks for answering. But like I already wrote, it definately does NOT belong to any settings on my TV because that does NOT happen, when a former created movie info page on a scraped movie is shown. And my TV doesn't apply any dynamic settings.

Furthermore, I can see the changes of contrast/brightnes happen just before the picture shows up on the navigation / folder structure. So you can see the changes even when the picture is not there yet right after press <enter> on the remote and you still see the navigation / folder structure for have a second. My firmware is still 4.0.0 at the moment.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 01:36:04 PM »
The GUI uses a different gamma profile to video/images.  You can see the change just before the photos appear.

Offline mr.tyler-durden

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 08:06:06 AM »
The GUI uses a different gamma profile to video/images.  You can see the change just before the photos appear.

OK, thank you. Seems to have the problem shaped. But how to stop that? Please correct me, but I think everyone wants to see photos as they are, not with more or less gamma.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 08:25:00 AM »
Its a relative change so it all depends on how you ccalibrate the TV and player.   If you calibrate the TV to a decent setup disk on a DVD/bd player, it dosnt follow every other source will match exactly the output of that player.  Those source which don't match have to be calibrated in the source itself.

You can't do that using the GUI. You have to rip a calibration disk and image testcard. You may tthen find the GUI is brighter, not the photo images darker.

Offline mr.tyler-durden

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 09:52:17 AM »
Its a relative change so it all depends on how you ccalibrate the TV and player.   If you calibrate the TV to a decent setup disk on a DVD/bd player, it dosnt follow every other source will match exactly the output of that player.  Those source which don't match have to be calibrated in the source itself.
You can't do that using the GUI. You have to rip a calibration disk and image testcard. You may tthen find the GUI is brighter, not the photo images darker.

Its a relative change so it all depends on how you ccalibrate the TV and player.   If you calibrate the TV to a decent setup disk on a DVD/bd player, it dosnt follow every other source will match exactly the output of that player.  Those source which don't match have to be calibrated in the source itself.

Hmm... Sorry, but didn't understand that. I've calibrated my TV for one source on its HDMI-Input (ARC): A/V-Receiver. The A/V-Receiver gets the Mede8er on its BD/DVD-HDMI Input (port 6 I'd guess) and the A/V-Receiver doesn't do anything to the signal that comes from the Mede8er on that port, as it has been set to "Pass-Through". The TV only detects whether the framerate is 24p or not. If I unplug the Mede8er and using other players on the exact same ports, there's nothing like changing gamma or contrast. The Mede8er must not change anything on image or video playback. That's something the TV has to do and that's why you have to calibrate a TV always by using test images from the specific source (like Mede8er). The thing is, I even can't calibrate anything on the TV with e.g. Burosch test images, that is shown by the Mede8er, because of that changes on gamma or contrast or whatever. If I would do so, the video and GUI would be way to bright and fuzzy. The calibration of video is fine at the moment, but images are not. And when you adjust something on the Mede8er as the source itself (e.g. brightnes or contrast) while it is showing a photo, these adjustments would be applied to video and GUI aswell. Isn't there any possibility to stop the player changing anything while displaying anything.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »
The gamma switch is there by design, but when properly calibrated,  the GUI will be brighter. You cant expect all  sources to match  exactly the brightness and contrast of another. If that  was true, you  wouldnt get such  controls in sources, only in TV's.

Don't say  you have no issue with other sources. By now you should realise that if realtek  can do  something different,  they  will.

Did you calibrate with xvycc on?  Some displays go  creamy with that on, so  people  want to  turn down the brightness in the player, when they  should turn it off.

Offline mr.tyler-durden

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 10:30:41 AM »
The gamma switch is there by design, but when properly calibrated,  the GUI will be brighter.
Not only the GUI. Every video as well.

You cant expect all  sources to match  exactly the brightness and contrast of another. If that  was true, you  wouldnt get such  controls in sources, only in TV's.
OK, but what do you mean with 'sources'? To be shown material like image/photos/video? Or like HDMI-port on the A/V-receiver and TV? Or the player itself? If you mean the player itself, I would assume that every sources have to match. There are defined standardizes for colour space and others.

Don't say  you have no issue with other sources. By now you should realise that if realtek  can do  something different,  they  will.
Until now I've never seen any player or let's say source, that is not able to don't change anything depending on the shown material. At least I didn't recognize... And BT.709 etc. are different things.

Did you calibrate with xvycc on?  Some displays go  creamy with that on, so  people  want to  turn down the brightness in the player, when they  should turn it off.
I think I've left x.v.Colour on 'Auto'. Will check that when I'm back home. I would never calibrate something on a player and not while sowing a GUI at all, because the player has to keep the material as it is, defined by the standards it represents within the streams. Only the displaying devices like TV or beamer have to be calibrated, depending on the source.
Look, the video image played with Mede8er and shown by TV panel is fine. I've calibrated the TV with test videos played by Mede8er. Only photos are not. If I would have to live with a brighter GUI to have photos shown well, OK. But brightnes adjustments on Mede8er while showing photos are affecting video as well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:51:13 AM by mr.tyler-durden »

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 11:10:59 AM »
BY sources I mean  all  the other devices connected by HDMI to AMP or TV.  IT rarely happens that  the black level  and contrast according to  say a THX disk matches. Connect two  or three disk players, and you calibrate the TV for one, only to  find its wrong for the others.  You have to compensate in the sources that  are wrong.

Offline pallec

• Experienced Member
    • Guitarfix
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 02:51:54 PM »
As I read it, the problem is that the image controls on the mede8er are global. I.e. they adjust globally and not separately for GUI, Photos and video.

On my equipment, it is not causing any problems, but apparently it does for the OP.
Connected to:
Netgear C6250 router
Samsung UE65F8000 TV

www.guitarfix.dk

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 03:03:13 PM »
The op  has calibrated his TV to another source..or not bothered to  calibrate it at all.

Either way as it stands photos look dark. Calibration dosnt happen  automatically. Perhaps that  will  the next thing to go plug'n'play?   Every TV could come with a test disk...and it calibrates itself to  the test output signal levels, not the image shown, when that disk is used. You could do it for each HDMI input, and it creates a unique gamma curve correction for each one.

Offline pallec

• Experienced Member
    • Guitarfix
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 03:09:01 PM »
The op  has calibrated his TV to another source..or not bothered to  calibrate it at all.

Either way as it stands photos look dark. Calibration dosnt happen  automatically. Perhaps that  will  the next thing to go plug'n'play?   Every TV could come with a test disk...and it calibrates itself to  the test output signal levels, not the image shown, when that disk is used. You could do it for each HDMI input, and it creates a unique gamma curve correction for each one.

To quote OP:  I've calibrated the TV with test videos played by Mede8er.

So, it seems that he has done the correct thing, but I will let him comment.

What about the mede8er image controls? Are they a global adjustment?
Connected to:
Netgear C6250 router
Samsung UE65F8000 TV

www.guitarfix.dk

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 03:13:22 PM »
Test Videos, or test disk? It looks like his personal  view of what videos should look like is too dark, making the photos even darker.