Author Topic: feedback on v4.0.4 final release  (Read 163208 times)

Offline BdsDjs

• Helpful Contribution Status: +0/-0
Re: feedback on v4.0.4 final release
« Reply #285 on: October 11, 2011, 02:41:06 PM »
The Mede8er is  a great device... with enormous potential BUT it's a techies device !! Just try
and get the Video Wall installed and working properly, then refreshing the video wall after
adding a couple of DVD's.

I think we're at the begining stages of Media devices and Mede8er didn't do itself any good
with version 4 firmware and all the nonosense that went with it. Someone needs to take a
long hard look at the comments\input both positive and negative and see where the Mede8er's future
is going.

The way it's going right now , not sure we'll be talking about Mede8er in a couple of years to come.  Potential customers
are looking for ease of use, user friendly, keep it simple type of devices. Maybe Apple should buy out Mede8er and turn it into a seriously quality product that people want to use every day.

I'm waiting for the iMede8er...

My 2 cents worth !!

Regards
Brad

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +203/-55
« Reply #286 on: October 11, 2011, 02:52:59 PM »
Apple aren't bothering with this kind of device. They see users wanting a dumb box which is controlled via their iphone. You can already get games for the ipad where the ipad is the controller, and it streams the video to the Apple live box for display. So their solution is you stream media from the phone to the box, having used the phone GUI to sdlect what you want.

Apple will also make it easy by expecting you  to use an apple router, and an apple Mac!  

These products aren't for everyone....you really need to have setup  a home network first and feel compfortable with the technology.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 03:15:27 PM by jer1956 »

Offline BdsDjs

« Reply #287 on: October 12, 2011, 04:45:51 AM »
The "Applle" thing was meant as tongue-and-cheek :)

The point being that in the not to distant future these media devices will go mainstream and
Mede8er will not be one of them.... lots of very unhappy customers.

I don't beleive the Mede8er will reach its REAL potential, a pity!!

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
  • Helpful Contribution Status: +51/-8
« Reply #288 on: October 12, 2011, 07:57:59 AM »
Ever tried to play media files with an Apple iPAD or an Apple TV?
It does not play all the media codecs a Mede8er does....

But I agree with one thing: the user interface should be as simple as possible (wife acceptance factor....)
However it is always a balance between what users wants as features and keep it simple.....
Those 2 do not always match.
Read the  Mede8er 400X/500X Beginners Guide
or Mede8er 500X2/400X2/450X2 Beginners Guide

Also check the Couto X3D Newbies Guide first.

Please don't PM me but post on the forum.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #289 on: October 12, 2011, 08:23:29 AM »
We could do with an Easy Mode. For Example, this could limit the box to a setup which disables options which will create diffiuclties and require a lot of setup. So Samba and NFS would vanish, leaving users with Upnp...like your typical lan based bluray player.

Once users are familier with the technology, and frustrated with the limitations of Easy Mode, they turn if off, and have access to everything.

Offline jer1956

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #290 on: October 12, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »
The "Applle" thing was meant as tongue-and-cheek :)

The point being that in the not to distant future these media devices will go mainstream and
Mede8er will not be one of them.... lots of very unhappy customers.

I don't beleive the Mede8er will reach its REAL potential, a pity!!

Mediplayers could be in a cul-de-sac. In reality Lan will become just another input on every display device, and every display  will be responsible for de-compressing the media coming over the Lan. So the "function" will remain, it will be split between Display, Central Media Store (NAS) and controller, such as an iphone.

In the medium term, the "function" will merge with Bluray players. That's how the "big boys", like Sony, will do it.

So Mediplayers will continue to be a niche product, finding out what the "big boys" have dropped to make it simple, and offering a unique solution for those unhappy with the compromises that requires.

Offline chillout23

« Reply #291 on: October 16, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »
Hi I'm newbee here as you can see  :D and I'm from Croatia
I bought Med 400 MINI yesterday and put 4.0.4 firmware from 3rd march (_INC_HDaudio) on it. Is that correct or the _NO_HDaudio from 7th march is correct?
I think that somethin' going wrong little bit...when I press FFWD it's correct, but when I press REW (back) going to freeze picture and going backward was not normally. Can't going back normally with movie picture when I want to see some scene again.
Menu it's not as fast as have to be, and going to freeze twice today.
What is the problem if somebody knows?

Talking about .mkv files 720P and 1080P

Offline mindmover

« Reply #292 on: October 30, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »
Today I updated my 500 (DD) to the latest firmwareversion (V4.04). No problems and my internetradio worked again.
But: The GUI is terrible. Not the nice blue as v3 but blue/blackish and a total dark impression. Hard to read. Tried all the plasma settings but they only made it darker. Also I got the impression that the collors in the movies were slidly 'off' . Not to mension the subtitles (SRT) who were harder to read. After an hour or so trying all sorts of settings (Contrast, Hue, saturation etc) I decieded to roll back to V3.04.  Now the the collors are ok, I a have a decent Gui but also the usual bugs of no internetradio, not playing all the MKV's and so on.  It's a real shame there's not a version with the old GUI but without the bugs...
I'm using a CRT LOEWE and a composite video connection.

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #293 on: October 30, 2011, 08:44:02 PM »
Today I updated my 500 (DD) to the latest firmwareversion (V4.04). No problems and my internetradio worked again.
But: The GUI is terrible. Not the nice blue as v3 but blue/blackish and a total dark impression. Hard to read. Tried all the plasma settings but they only made it darker. Also I got the impression that the collors in the movies were slidly 'off' . Not to mension the subtitles (SRT) who were harder to read. After an hour or so trying all sorts of settings (Contrast, Hue, saturation etc) I decieded to roll back to V3.04.  Now the the collors are ok, I a have a decent Gui but also the usual bugs of no internetradio, not playing all the MKV's and so on.  It's a real shame there's not a version with the old GUI but without the bugs...
I'm using a CRT LOEWE and a composite video connection.

You can just downgrade to 3.0.5
Internet radio will work and you will have the old style gui.

Offline woodrow2

« Reply #294 on: October 30, 2011, 09:53:59 PM »
I'm still om 3.04.

I know there's a 3.05, but that required to first update to V4BETA5. That scared me. Is there now a simpler upgrade from 3.04 to 3.05 available?

Offline Maasbommel

• Global Moder8or
  • M8er Addict
« Reply #295 on: December 03, 2011, 09:20:57 AM »
Closed as there now is a Final 4.0.5 version.